Cheat Archive - Nestopia
DOWNLOAD - (Version 2020-10-21: 300+ Games, 3,300+ cheats)
- Nestopia doesn't retain the order of cheats found in the cheat files, but rather sorts by the cheat's Game Genie code. This means the cheats will not be in a meaningful order, and cheats which require multiple codes will often be separated. To fix this problem, please encourage the emulator's developers to stop sorting the list.
1.) Download the latest Easy Cheat archive to your Nestopia or Nestopia UE emulator folder.
2.) Click the Extract tab at the top of the file explorer and click the Extract all button.
3.) The following dialog will open. Note: Your folder path will be different.
4.) Replace the Easy Cheat location with the word "cheats".
5.) Press the Extract button, and the files will be extracted into the cheats folder.
6.) Open Nestopia UE or Nestopia and click on the Options menu to expand it, then click on Paths...
7.) In the Paths dialog, in the section labeled Cheats, check the Auto load and Auto save check boxes.
8.) Load a game ROM into Nestopia UE or Nestopia, then click the Options menu and then Cheats...
9.) Cheats are activated by clicking the check box, and deactivate by unchecking them.
If you're having trouble getting these cheats to work, check the following:
- The .xml cheat file must have the EXACT same name as your ROM file. The NES Hacker Wiki uses the No-Intro ROM naming convention. For example, if your ROM is named something like Contra (U) [h1].nes, you must either rename your ROM to Contra (USA).nes, or rename your cheat file to Contra (USA).xml. Thankfully, there are auditing tools that can do this for you. If you do not want to rename anything, Nestopia also allows cheat files to be imported in the Cheats dialog.
- Some cheats don't take effect until after you restart your ROM.
- Make sure you extracted the cheats into the proper folder. To do this, navigate to your Nestopia folder and into the .\cheats folder and you should see numerous files with a .xml extension.
- Verify your Nestopia cheat path matches where you unzipped the cheats. You can check by clicking on the Options menu, then Paths... and looking at the Cheats section. The default cheat folder is your Nestopia path plus "\cheats".
- Use the latest version of Nestopia UE (v1.49) or the latest version of Nestopia (v1.40). These cheats might be compatible with earlier versions.
- Remember, not all games have cheats yet. If there isn't an .xml file for your game, you can either check this Wiki to see if the game has been added since the last package, or request cheats.