Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 is a platform action game developed and published by Capcom on 1993-12-10 for the NES. In the game you play Chip and Dale as they attempt to foil the plans of the evil villain Fat Cat with help from the other Rescue Rangers from the cartoon.
I didn't play Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers 2 when it came out. Having jumped on the SNES hype, I stopped paying attention to NES releases. When NES emulators became a possibility, I started playing some of my old favorite games and looking though the back catalog of games I had missed. Having beat the first Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers the same day I rented it, I wasn't too interested in the sequel, and, seeing that it functioned very similarly to the original in an emulator, I didn't bother with it for years. However, wanting to increase my total of finished games, I decided to try my hand at it. On my first play-through, I made it to the second-to-last stage, and, in my second attempt, on 2018-11-03, I beat the game without needing to continue.
I do not own this game, but I have beaten it.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: NES
- The game plays as a competent 8-bit era platformer.
- The cut-scenes help captures the fun and excitement of the cartoon.
- The graphics are well-drawn, and the palettes used in the backgrounds are really good.
- The music fits the game's theme, and it nicely incorporates the cartoon's theme song.
- I like that you are able to increase your hit points by collecting R&R plaques.
- The mini-game between levels is a nice addition.
- I like how, instead of a fifth heart, you get a giant heart.
- The game is too easy. I beat it on my second attempt. I know it was made for kids, but even kids deserve a better challenge.
- The difficulty curve is a bit skewed in some spots. The mine cart section is quite difficult, and the penultimate boss is also very hard.
- The R&R plaques are a bit more thematic than the flowers from the first game, but I still think the designers could have come up with something better.
- You can only increase you life by 2 hearts making it pointless to collect plaques in the second half of the game. The extra plaques are there to allow two players to get full hearts, but it would have been nice to offer some sort of reward to a single player game.
- Zipper looks a bit jacked in this game.
- The ending is very anti-climactic.
- youtube.com/watch?v=XGwGoKAvvxo - Longplay.
|English||Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers 2|
|Japanese||チップとデールの大作戦2||Chippu to Deru no Daisakusen 2||Chip and Dale's Mission 2|
- mobygames.com/game/nes/disneys-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-2 - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_%27n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_2 - Wikipedia.
- tcrf.net/Chip_%27n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers_2 - The Cutting Room Floor.