Circuit Scramble is a logic gate themed puzzle game developed and published by Suborbital Games for Android in April 2016. The game presents you with a collection of logic gates like AND, OR, XOR, all wired together and to a bunch of switches. The goal is to light up an LED by switching the flow of current on and off through various switches.
I found this game on the Google Play store while looking for a new free game to play.
This game is free. I beat it on 2019-02-28 with a rating of three on each board.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: Android
- The game gives you a nice hands-on approach to the operation of circuitry of logic gates. It teaches you how they work while keeping the game interesting.
- All the standard gates are covered: AND, OR, XOR, NAND, and XNOR. But also a couple other components are added including an inverter (NOT), a switch, and a multiplexer (MUX).
- The background music is fitting to the game.
- I like how the game keeps stats for you and the inclusion of a randomly generated endless mode.
- In the late stages, where there are several rows of switches and gates, it became far too much for me to keep everything in my head. I basically had to test things out, until I got to a solution, and then reset the game to repeat the solution to get a three-rating.
- Although the game begins introducing the various components in a timely manner, there is a large gap between when you see the basic components and when you finally see the more complex components. You have to run through over 90% of boards before you get to the MUX.
- When you re-open the game, you have to manually swipe over to the last page you were on rather than have the game remember. Not a major issue, but it got annoying as I neared the end.
- There were a couple minor graphic glitches with how the traces were drawn. Most people probably wouldn't even notice.
- Although I enjoyed the game, and felt like I learned a bit while plying it, the game is more of a teaching tool than fun, which accounts for my low rating.
- youtube.com/watch?v=b-71owiXZ4E - Trailer.