Crazy Nick's Software Picks: King Graham's Board Game Challenge
|Crazy Nick's Software Picks: King Graham's Board Game Challenge|
MS-DOS - USA - 1st edition.
Crazy Nick's Software Picks: King Graham's Board Game Challenge is a strategy video game developed and published by Sierra On-Line in 1992 for MS-DOS. It was part of the Crazy Nick's Software Picks series of budget computer games, as well as the King's Quest series. This particular title includes a rendition of backgammon and checkers. Each features a few game play variants. It was created using the Sierra Creative Interpreter engine.
When my cousin got the King's Quest: Collector's Edition in 1994, this game was bundled in with it. I remember playing it at the time and always losing to the AI because, at the time, I had never played backgammon before, and rarely played checkers. On 2020-05-29, I tried playing the game and beat the expert difficulty AI at both checkers and backgammon on my first try.
I don't own this game, but I have beaten it.
Best Version: DOS
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The game competently enforces the rules for the games, and also includes variants which you can adjust in the settings.
- I like how King Graham emotes how he's feeling during particularly good or bad moves.
- The AI isn't particularly bright. I'm not a very good backgammon or checkers player, but I was able to beat the expert difficulty AI in both games without much trouble.
- Although the games have a couple tunes and sound effects, it would have been nicer if there were proper background music.
- I would have appreciated a little customization to the game play. Perhaps different types of checkers and dice as well as alternate backgrounds.
- Although it would have been trivial to implement, the game doesn't support two-player mode.
The box art is about what you would expect from a budget release: garish. It has some primitive boards of checkers and backgammon, an ugly painting of Graham, and bright eye-catching text.
|Strong female character?||Fail||There are no women.|
|Bechdel test?||Fail||There are no women.|
|Strong person of color character?||Fail||There are no people of color.|
|Queer character?||Fail||There are no queer characters.|