Golden Sun is an RPG for Game Boy Advance.
I probably put about 45 minutes into the game before getting sick of it and quitting.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: Game Boy Advance
- The background graphics and music are well made.
- The stairs in the main town blend in well with the background making them difficult to distinguish.
- Most things that you can search are empty, and the reward for searching is very minimal.
- Combat requires you to space out your attacks in order to make them count like the original Final Fantasy. While this makes combat more strategic, it's a pain to have to bother with.
- I didn't care for the pre-rendered 3D sprites. They didn't fit in well with the hand-drawn backgrounds.
- I didn't care for how the people morphed out of shape to show emotion.
- When getting the element stones, Jenna suggests letting the boys do the task of collecting them, implying that she is just as feeble as the old man. Then, she gets kidnapped. Obnoxious anti-feminist tropes.
- There are a lot of yes/no questions to add role-playing choices, but they seem to be irrelevant.
- The cut scenes are really slow and dull.
- Spell casting lacks strategy; all spells work well against all enemies. Ice speels are effective on an ice monster and earthquake is effective on a flying monsters!
- Searching uses the same button as the menu, which opens the menu every time there isn't something to examine. This makes you want to never search unless you're confident something is there, which makes you miss out on a lot of optional items.