GraphicsGale is a raster graphics editor developed by Humanbalance in 2004-07-20 for Windows. The program is designed primarily for the creation of pixel art, with emphasis on animation. It was first released in Japanese, but an English translation was made in 2005. It was originally sold, but was released as freeware in 2017.
- Real-time animation playback and onion skins.
- Palette editing and saving.
- Automatic zoom toolbar.
- Has all the typical drawing primitives like dot, brush, line, box, circle, arc, paint, etc.
- Supports a variety of raster formats: PNG, GIF (regular and animated), ICO, CUR, JPEG, TGA, TIFF, BMP, DIB, AVI (lossless), ANI, and its custom GAL.
- Additional tools: Thumbnail viewer, batch conversion, GIF compression optimization, etc.
- Useful multiple document interface UI.
I found GraphicsGale while looking for a good free pixel art editor after becoming frustrated by Corel Photo-Paint's terrible pixel art features. Although it took me awhile to get acclimated to the UI, once I did, I found it to be a very competent pixel art editor.