Hill Climb Racing
I found the game in 2017 while looking for free casual games to play on my phone.
The game is free. I have unlocked every track and vehicle and got most of the achievements, though I have no desire to get them all.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: Android
- The controls are pretty responsive.
- I like slowly building up the quality of your vehicle to get a fantastically powerful vehicle.
- It's funny to watch the Joe and his terrified passengers die in painful ways. I only wish there were blood smears.
- There are plenty of vehicles and tracks to drive on.
- Some of the tracks are really fun and interesting like Boot Camp, Seasons, Halloween, and Ragnarok.
- The upgrades are too minor to even be noticed and it takes too many to upgrade a vehicle to full power.
- Far too many of the tracks are effectively identical to each other. For example countryside, desert, and arctic or mudpool, volcano, and beach.
- Going in or out of the selection menus has a annoying delay, and it's not very responsive, often over or under-shooting the item you want to select.
- Despite the title, the game is not a racing game, but a driving game.
- Sometimes the ad in the selection menu doesn't hide while driving and gets in the way.
- I wish there were more tricks you could do. Your only repeatable tricks are the flip and backflip.
- For the many hours I've put into the game, I've never really felt like I accomplished anything.
Some tips for getting the most money:
- Ignore the jeep and motorcross bike and get the monster truck as soon as possible, and upgrade it fully. For me, it was the best vehicle for getting very far on many stages, and the most fun to drive of the cheaper vehicles.
- A fully-decked out monster truck can earn $100,000+ for each ride on the Moon. Just hit big air and do lots of flips.
- To get really far on the Moon, buy about 5 boosts. When you get to the really tall hill, start boosting your way into the air. Continue boosting to get higher and faster. You will soar very far.
- The most money I am able to get in the game is from a decked-out tractor on the highway. The tractor gets fantastic mileage so you can get very far in the level. At around 7,000 meters or so you reach peak coin frequency and quantity where they come every few meters and are all $500. Plus, the heavy weight of the tractor makes it more likely to get them, even when traveling at high speeds.
- mobygames.com/game/hill-climb-racing - MobyGames.
- play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fingersoft.hillclimb - Google Play.