Hugo's House of Horrors
Hugo's House of Horrors is an adventure game for DOS. It uses a game engine similar to the early Sierra adventure games. It was designed by David P. Gray, released in 1990, and is the first game in the Hugo series of games. The story is rather typical: the girlfriend of Hugo has been kidnapped and taken into a mansion. The game uses a haunted house theme with various Halloween and horror movie tropes.
This was the first game that I ever wrote a full walk-through for, not only including how to beat the game with a full score, but also the entire script, a FAQ, and various bugs.
- The game gives a nice adventure with decent puzzles.
- I like the trivia section which includes references to Narnia and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- The artwork and sound was very dated (King's Quest V came out the same year!).
- The story is lacking, and the theme is tired.
- There are a couple bugs in the game that can be exploited.
- Nothing really.