Hugo's House of Horrors
Hugo's House of Horrors is an adventure game for DOS. It uses a game engine similar to the early Sierra adventure games. It was designed by David P. Gray, released in 1990, and is the first game in the Hugo series of games. The story is rather typical: the girlfriend of Hugo has been kidnapped and taken into a mansion. The game uses a haunted house theme with various Halloween and horror movie tropes.
I have beaten the game with a full score, without hints. I also hand-wrote a walk-though, full script, and documented various game bugs.
- Overall: 3/10
- Best Version: DOS
- The game gives a charming adventure with decent puzzles.
- I like the trivia section which includes references to Narnia and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- The artwork and sound was very dated (King's Quest V came out the same year!).
- The story is lacking, and the theme is tired.
- The game is far too short.
- There are a couple bugs in the game that can be exploited.
- Nothing really.