- Customizable display.
- Tabbed documents.
- Can open files, entire drives, and running programs.
- Can view data as 8 to 64-bit integers (big and little endian), various string formats, dates, times, and even several x86 machine code formats.
- Supports files up to 8 EB, and uses partial loading for fast viewing.
- Find and replace both support searching by hex (8-64 bit values big and little endian), text (ASCII and UTF-16), and even 4, 6, 8, and 10 byte floats.
- Can checksum/hashes files using 16 different algorithms.
- Byte-by-byte file comparison.
- Statistical view for how common bytes are.
I found HxD in July of 2020 while looking for a free replacement for Frhed. After seeing all the additional features and really good search capabilities, I switched over to using it.