Jeopardy! (Rare games)
The video game developer Rare produced three Jeopardy! games for publisher GameTek, each based on the Jeopardy! game show. The three titles were released on the NES from 1988-1990, and were essentially the same game, but with different questions. The three games include:
|1989-10-??||Jeopardy! Junior Edition||Children's trivia.|
|1990-06-??||Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition||Adult trivia.|
Although I enjoy the game show Jeopardy!, I don't care much for game shows simulated as video games. I never played these games growing up, but, as an adult, I played these games just to better familiarize myself with the NES catalog of games, and add them to my list of games I've beaten.
I do not own any of these games, but I have beat them all on easy difficulty.
Best Version: NES
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The games do an adequate job of representing the game show.
- Unlike a lot of video game tie-ins, the developers actually included the Jeopardy! theme song and sound effects from the show.
- You get to choose the skin tone of your avatar, which is a progressive option for 1988.
- AI opponents randomly give incorrect answers which give hints at the correct answer, which is a nice touch.
- The show's host, Alex Trebek, is nowhere to be seen.
- The player avatars are poorly drawn and animated. Several of them look a bit terrifying.
- Unlike the game show, you must be able to properly spell every answer you give.
- For some reason, the developers chose the D-pad to be the way to buzz-in on an question.
- While I can't fault the developers for not using a good AI, you're basically playing against an opponent that randomly gives correct answers. The harder difficulties just increase the likelihood of randomly guessing.
- All three games are essentially identical, only with different trivia and slightly different avatars. Very little effort was spent trying to update the quality of the game engine, graphics, or sound. Even the manuals are very similar.
- mobygames.com/game/jeopardy_____ - MobyGames - Jeopardy!
- mobygames.com/game/jeopardy-junior-edition - MobyGames - Jeopardy! Junior Edition
- mobygames.com/game/jeopardy-25th-anniversary-edition - MobyGames - Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy!_(franchise)#Video_games - Wikipedia - Jeopardy! franchise.
- tcrf.net/Jeopardy!_(NES) - The Cutting Room Floor - Jeopardy!