Looming is a graphic adventure developed and published by Gregory Weir as a browser game on 2010-07-05. The game uses a mostly monochromatic display with ordered dithering for artwork reminiscent of early Macintosh titles. For inspiration, Weir looked to Myst and Yume Nikki. The game was developed in Flash.
In the game, you play as an archeologist who studies the remains of a land which was once occupied by two civilizations who departed long ago. One group was highly pragmatic and obsessed with technology, the other was high academic and obsessed with understanding. As you find artifacts of their existence among the old buildings you uncover the reason for their departure. However, your work strains the relationship between you and your lover, so you frequently correspond with each other.
I remember seeing this game online around the time it was released. I played it, but didn't keep any notes, so I think I found all of the artifacts, but didn't solve the puzzle endings and gave up on it. Later, while replaying the Flash games I played previously, I took proper notes of the puzzle and beat the game on 2022-10-30. The game is freeware.
Best Version: Browser
— This section contains spoilers! —
- Love the ordered dithering of the attractive artwork. It's not only well-drawn, but the consistency gives the game a similar feeling over all.
- The old broken machines and abstract obelisks give the land a fittingly abandoned feeling.
- The ambient music and strange sound effects fit the atmosphere well.
- I like that, upon completing the game, development notes are unlocked.
- I felt like more should have been done with the game. Most of the endings are based on simply collecting the items which doesn't require any thought. Only three exits are puzzles.
- I didn't like that the light towers puzzle had two solutions for two endings. This had me searching blindly for awhile for the final exit.
- For as much random walking as you end up doing, it would be nicer if your character didn't have to accelerate to full speed, but just always ran at full speed.
- I could have done with a bit more varied audio. The drone get tiring after awhile.
|Bechdel test?||Fail||Nobody is clearly female.|
|Strong female character?||Fail||Nobody is clearly female.|
|Strong non-white character?||Fail||No characters have a clear race.|
|Queer character?||Fail||There are no queer characters.|