Mario Kart 64
I first saw this game being played by the boyfriend of the sister of a girl I was dating at the time (around 1996-97). I first played it at the house of some friends who I played Magic: The Gathering with. Though I was quite terrible, I was rather impressed with the game. I've now gotten pretty good at it, and can E-slide fairly well. However, I haven't made much of an attempt to beat the game because I despise the rubber band AI. In fact, for this very reason, I prefer Diddy Kong Racing.
I do not own this game, and I have not beaten it.
Best Version: 74%
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The game is pretty great looking. Each track has it's own character and they incorporated a lot of Mario elements.
- Kenta Nagata's music, which appears to have been purposely made simple as to not interfere with the game, makes a wonderful backdrop for the tracks. Rainbow Road and the ending theme ("Victory Lap") are especially good.
- The variations of driver attributes accommodates different play styles nicely.
- The several modes (race against the AI, race against a friend, battle more, and time trials) give the game more life.
- Being able to unlock the mirror mode was a good reward for beating the tracks on their most difficult levels, and a nice way to give the game more life.
- The game appears to not properly maintain FPS in certain tracks with 3 or more players, like Moo Moo Farm. This is most likely due to the GPU not being able to handle all four rendered screens and the programmers removing the frame-delimiter.
- Over the years, players have managed to find quite a few bugs with the track that can be exploited in multiplayer.
- I hate games where the AI gets an unfair advantage, and this game is pretty awful at it. It uses a "rubberband AI" where, no matter how good you are, or how bad you damage the other racers, two opponent carts will always be on your tail because they will receive a speed advantage beyond what you can possibly achieve. This is a lazy approach to throttling difficulty.
- textures-resource.com/nintendo_64/mariokart64 - Textures.
- youtube.com/watch?v=gGI8YXKW3G0 - Son of a Glitch.
- youtube.com/watch?v=ASWgJvuQhTA - Longplay, 150cc,
|Chinese||马里奥卡丁车64||Mario Kart 64|
|English||Mario Kart 64|
|Japanese||マリオカート64||Mario Kato 64||Mario Kart 64|