Momodora: Reveris Under the Moonlight
Momodora: Reveris Under the Moonlight is a platform action adventure game developed by Bombservice and published by Playism on 2016-03-04 for Windows and then ported to several other platforms. It is the fourth game in Momodora series. It is a Metroidvania style game developed in GameMaker Studio.
I got this game as part of a Humble Bundle, and the screenshots looked cool enough for me to play it. Once I started playing I found it to be a pretty decent Metroidvania.
I own this game on Steam and am currently playing it.
- The game is neither too hard nor too easy.
- The background graphics and sprite animation are well-drawn, particularly the bosses.
- Ordinarily, I don't like insta-death (spikes, water, etc.) in a Metroidvania, but the map has so many save points, and the player has so little health, it's actually not that bad, and adds to the difficulty.
- The game nicely takes advantage of game pad rumbling.
- Despite reading all the dialogue from the NPCs I didn't have the slightest idea what was going on. I just explored new areas of the map, killed bosses, collected items, and so forth. It was still fun, but I wish the story was more enforced.
- The background music, while moody and ambient, is a bit dull.
- Most of the items aren't very useful. Occasionally I'd find a use for one or two, but I mostly had the magnet stone and healing flower equipped at all times.
- You're only given two options for game pad configurations, and neither are my favorite. I wish there was a fully customizeable setup.
- You often stumble upon a boss which usually kills you the first time. I wish the designers made it a bit more obvious when you were about to enter a boss room.