New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros., known in Japan as スーパーマリオブラザーズ [Nyu Supa Mario Burazazu] is a 2D scrolling platform action game in the Mario universe developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS on 2006-05-05. Like most Mario games, Peach has been kidnapped, this time by Bowser Jr., and you must rescue her by traveling across eight worlds. Worlds are divided into levels, mini castles, toad houses, and, at the end of each world, a castle of Bowser Jr. which houses a boss.
I don't own this game, but I have beaten it.
- Overall: 5/10
- Best Version: Nintendo DS
- The mega mushroom was a nice new powerup. The mini mushroom, not so much.
- I like the conversion of the Super Mario 64 enemies and concepts into a 2D environment.
- The inclusion of the wall jump was nice and the designers did a good job of designing maps to benefit it.
- The graphic designers did a good job of marrying raster backgrounds with 3D sprites.
- The environment graphics are pretty wonderful.
- Using star coins to unlock beneficial areas of the map was a nice way to encourage players to try to reach more difficult areas of the maps.
- I love how the characters in the game react to the "wah wah" of the above ground theme music.
- I like how the screen shifts from top to bottom when you go down pipes.
- The game is still a bit too similar to standard Super Mario Bros. For the most part, I felt like I was playing a level expansion rather than a new game.
- I don't like how the player skips every other world as part of normal play.
- I'm so tired of the damsel in distress trope. Sing us a new one.
- Several of the Toad house "games" are entirely random, so they aren't games at all.
- While I appreciate the addition of mini games, they're all pretty dull.
- While there were a few difficult levels, over all the game was so easy, I beat it on my very first attempt.