The Punch-Out!! universe began with a 1983 arcade boxing game created by Nintendo, specifically, general manager Genyo Takeda and his partner Makoto Wada. The series hasn't expanded nearly as quickly as other Nintendo franchises, but sees a new title every so often.
The first time I saw a Punch-Out!! game was in an arcade in the late 1980s. My memory is fuzzy, but I think my father was playing the game, but it was either Punch-Out!! or Super Punch-Out!!. Later, I remember seeing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! covered in The Official Nintendo Player's Guide. My friend got a copy of the game, and I got to try it out. I didn't understand why I couldn't just punch away, and I ended up losing to Glass Joe! Later, my friend was doing really well and he called me on the phone so I would read tips from the strategy guide for how to defeat Great Tiger. My cousin ended up getting the NES re-release of Punch-Out!!. We all spent a lot of time trying to defeat Mike Tyson / Mr. Dream, but we never could. When the SNES came out, I had grown tired of the franchise and never bought Super Punch-Out!! or even played it. It wasn't until SNES emulation became popular that I even played it. I finally beat Mike Tyson in 2017, but I still haven't played much else from the series.
|1984-07-31||Boxing||Game & Watch|
|1987-09-18||Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!||NES|
|1990-08-??||Punch-Out!! (with Mr. Dream)||NES|
|2009-10-27||Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!||Wii|
- Captain N: The Game Master - King Hippo is a villain in the series.
- Captain N: The Game Master (comic) - King Hippo is a villain in the comics as well.
- Fight Night Round 2 - The SNES boxer is an unofficial playable character.
- Captain Rainbow - You help train Little Mac.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Little Mac is an assist trophy.
- Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - Little Mac is a playable character.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Little Mac is a playable character.