Puss N Boots: Pero's Great Adventure
Puss N Boots: Pero's Great Adventure is a platform shooter developed by Shouei System and published by Electro Brain for the NES in June 1990. The game is based on the Toei anime, Puss N Boots. Strangely, though the game is about a Japanese anime, it was only released in the USA, not Japan. This may have been due to the low quality of the game. In the game Count Gruemon sends Pero through time and space, and Pero must fight his way through the Wild West, Jolly Old London, and even outer space to get back to duel Gruemon.
I played this game because it was on a list of games that are easy to win, and I wanted to increase my total number of completed games.
I don't own the game, but have beaten it.
- Overall: 2/10
- Best Version: NES
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The various locales you visit are nice.
- A bird literally poops on you. Awesome!
- For some reason, your horizontal speed increases when you jump. This makes control more difficult than it needs to be.
- Overall, the controls, graphics, music, and animation are all particularly poor for the time. If the game came out five years earlier it would be acceptable.
- The difficulty of the game swings wildly. In most sections, it's so easy, you can avoid all the enemies without even needing to shoot. But some of the sections, like the pit room in London, are very difficult.
- The bosses are extremely difficult until you find a safe place to stand, and then they become very easy.