I'm not sure if I played Rad Racer before or after I saw it in The Wizard, possibly after. I think I first played it when my step brother brought it over with him when he came to visit. Either way, I remember it being very hard, and on my first couple attempts, I couldn't even finish the first stage. After several tries, I got good enough to get to the third, maybe fourth track, but I've never much cared for the game, but then, I don't like racing games much in general.
I own the game, but have not beaten it.
- Overall: 2/10
- Best Version: NES
- The various backgrounds are quite attractive.
- The game has a wide variety of cars you're racing against.
- Like OutRun, the game lets you change the radio station, and even while driving, but, unlike OutRun, the music isn't that great.
- It's disappointing that there is only ever a single type of car on the road at any given time.
- The F1 machine is the same as the 328 Twin Turbo, just with a different skin, and when driving it, all the other cars become boring F1s as well.
- There is really noticeable sprite flickering on other cars when you near them.
- The 3D doesn't work.
- The game is just too hard. Even with practice, I have a hard time getting past the first few roads.
- The game isn't that fun either. The first track shows you pretty much everything you will see for the rest of the game.
- Rad Racer - NES - Manual.pdf
The Official Nintendo Player's Guide, part 1.
Nintendo Power cheat.
Nintendo Fun Club, 1988-06 - Tricks.
A comparison between the arcade version of OutRun and the NES version of Rad Racer.
- youtube.com/watch?v=lfBXm8rux4Y - Longplay.
|Japanese||ハイウェイスター||Haiuei Suta||Highway Star|
- mobygames.com/game/rad-racer - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rad_Racer - Wikipedia.
- vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Rad_Racer_(NES) - Music.
- thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Wiki/index.php/Rad_Racer - NES Hacker Database.