SkyRoads is a space driving game developed and published by Bluemoon Software and distributed in North America by Creative Dimensions for MS-DOS in 1993. You control a ship that drives along platforms hanging in outer space. You must jump over gaps, safely enter tunnels, avoid walls, and navigate dangerous and beneficial sections, in order to reach the end of each road. The roads being fairly simple, but become much harder as you progress.
The game is based off an earlier gamed called Kosmonaut released by the same developers. A Christmas-themed level pack with also released called SkyRoads: Xmas Special.
My cousin and I played the shareware version of this game in the mid-1990s. I really liked the concept and beat all of the levels in the release. Later I got a pirated version of the game and played through all but 3 of the roads. I was hindered by either a cheap keyboard, or a cheap computer that couldn't handle three simultaneous keystrokes at the same time, so I couldn't jump, accelerate, and turn at the same time, which is pretty much necessary for the more difficult roads.
The game is now freeware. I have not beaten it, but I've gotten very close.
- Overall: 4/10
- Best Version: MS-DOS
- The premise is enjoyable, the controls are good, and the game is fun.
- The background images are a nice mix of surreal and serene.
- Some of the tracks have a pretty clever layout, even where supplies are hidden and require more aggressive driving to win.
- I especially love the roads in the Misty section, the color gradient in the roads is quite beautiful.
- With only 30 levels, a decent player can beat the entire game in about 45 minutes.
- The game could benefit from a story and an ending.
- I wish the designers thought up some more special road types other then the five in the game.
- The levels get pretty aggravating near the end, requiring a lot of really difficult jumps in succession.
SkyRoads: Xmas Special
In 1994, Bluemoon Interactive released SkyRoads: Xmas Special. Although it is a stand-alone game, it's really nothing more than a Christmas-themed level pack. It replaces some of the background images and has 30 new roads, but it doesn't change the music or sound effects. Most of the new roads are extremely difficult.