Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. is an action platformer by Nintendo released in 1985 as the first in the "Super Mario" series, though not the first "Mario" game. I first played it in the 1980s at my baby sitter's house, and then many, many times after my brother and I bought the NES Action Set at the end of the 1980s.
I own this game as an individual cart and as a dual cart with Duck Hunt. I have beaten it without warping or needing to mine extra lives in 3-1.
- Over all, the game is a lot of fun with a solid challenge.
- There is a lot of variation among the levels. As your progress in the game there are new enemies, platforms, springs, etc., and the levels vary from day, night, underground, underwater, tree tops, bridges, inside castles, outside castles, winter, etc.
- The graphics are quite good for the time.
- The music is nicely hummable.
- The addition of a second quest, though minor, adds replay to the game.
- I am awed that the developers were able to cram the entire game into 32K!
- Near the end, the game becomes very difficult, too difficult for a general audience.
- I find the underwater music to be a bit grating.
- The ending is too short for such a difficult game.