The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (Game Boy Color)
The game is set in the Sesame Street universe and loosely based on the film, The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland. Elmo chases his blanket into Grouchland and he must navigate through hazardous trash dumps to get it back, then return safely to Sesame Street.
I played this game assuming it would be a children's game I could easily beat, and I finished it on hard mode on my first attempt on 2021-11-23.
I don't own this game.
Best Version: Game Boy Color
— This section contains spoilers! —
- Elmo controls poorly. It's not game breaking, but it's far from the standards of action games of 1999.
- The graphics are awful. They look like they were lifted from licensed NES games.
- The music and sound is low quality bad.
- Much of the game play is dull and repetitious. For example, one of the levels requires you to spray water and wait for a toy helicopter to randomly move into the water.
- The game is far too short. Even on hard difficulty, it can be finished in fewer than 10 minutes.
- The game does not take advantage of the hardware. with an 8 MB ROM, they could have fit a lot more interesting content, but most of it is wasted. In the ROM, the developers complain about all the wasted space of an 8 MB ROM, when they should have been figuring out ways to fill it to make their game better.
All regions use this box. It's just glorified clip art.