Difference between revisions of "The Frostrune"
(Created page with "thumb|256x256px|Steam title card. '''''The Frostrune''''' is an adventure puzzle game developed by Grimnir and published by [...")
Revision as of 16:08, 31 January 2020
The Frostrune is an adventure puzzle game developed by Grimnir and published by Snow Cannon Games for Android and iOS on 2017-02-01 and for Macintosh and Windows the next day. In the game, a Norse ship is sunk in a storm off the coast of Norway in 965 CE. Only a 13-year-old girl survives by swimming to a nearby shore. There is a settlement, but everyone there is either missing or dead from a strange magical ice that has frozen everything. You must unravel the mystery by using the magic of the old ones and your own cunning.
I found this game in the Google store while looking for a new game to play on my phone. The fact that it was free and had very attractive screenshots caused me to download it.
The game is free on Android, but costs money on other platforms. I am currently playing it.
Best Version: Android
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The background art is superb! Even though it's mostly static, the particle effects, lighting transformations, and transparent layering make it look animated.
- The game has little traditional music, but it does have fantastic ambient sound effects and mood sound. The speech in a foreign language is also wonderful.
- There is a decent variety of puzzles. Most of them are inventory puzzles, but there are also observational puzzles, auditory puzzles,
- Items disappear from your inventory after use, even when there is no need for this to occur. For example, early in the game, you obtain a knife which you use to cut a rope, causing the knife to disappear. While I understand why the designers chose this route (to prevent your inventory from filling up with unusable junk), they probably could have come up with a more realistic way to handle this.
- There were a couple places in the game where the descriptive text should have changed after an event but didn't. For example, early on, after you obtain keys off a corpse, you will still get the message that you can't reach the keys.
- play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grimnir.frostrunethe - Google Play Store.