The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One
The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One is a graphical adventure puzzle game developed by Westwood Studios and published by Virgin Games in August 1992 for Amiga and MS-DOS, and later ported to FM Towns, Macintosh, PC-98, and Windows. This is the first game in the The Legend of Kyrandia series. Westwood created a new category of games with this title called "Fables & Fiends," but they only used it for the Kyrandia series, despite it fitting with the Lands of Lore series as well.
In the game, an evil jester named Malcolm has escaped from his prison and, armed with the powerful magic Kyragem, is seeking revenge from those who imprisoned him. You play Brandon, the grandson of the wizard Kallek who has been turned into stone by Malcolm, who must not only find a way to return his grandfather to flesh, but must also stop Malcolm before he destroys your homeland.
My high school girlfriend owned the CD-ROM version of this game and I played it with her in the late 1990s. We got to the dark cavern maze before ending our session. Later, she told me that she had beat the game without me, which made me a bit disappointed. Years later, I got a copy of the game myself and even brought with me when I met Frank Klepacki in 2019 to have him sign it. I didn't restart playing the game until 2020.
I own this game on CD-ROM Windows and have it signed by Frank Klepacki. I am currently playing it.
- The graphics are utterly amazing for this era. The background art is vibrantly colored and highly detailed, the character animation is fluid, and the pixel art of the sprites are fantastic.
- Although the voice acting isn't fantastic, the fact that the game has speech for the entire game's dialog was pretty impressive for 1992.
- One of the rocks is hidden unfairly in the serpent grotto.
- The well fills with water... that's not how wells work.
- Many of the forest backgrounds are reused throughout the game. This wasn't too uncommon at the time to pad the size of the game world, but it still looks bad.
- None of the music really impressed me.
- The vast majority of rooms have very little to do, you can't even click on something to get a better description of what it is. While this speeds up the game play because only those things that are relevant to the game can be clicked on, it also makes the game a lot less interesting.
|Chinese||超级马力欧兄弟||Chāojí Mǎlìōu Xiōngdì||The Legend of Kailandia|
|English||The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One|
|Hebrew||דברי ימי קירנדיה||The Chronidia Chronicles|
|Korean||키란디아의 전설||Kilandiaui Jeonseol||Kirlandia's Legend|