Difference between revisions of "The Simpsons"
|Line 21:||Line 21:|
Revision as of 14:37, 9 August 2017
The Simpsons is an animated situational comedy television show created by Matt Groening based on his characters from earlier shorts on The Tracy Ullman Show. It first aired in 1989. The show now has over 600 episodes and has become one of the longest running shows in history in many categories.
When The Simpsons first came out, my mother wouldn't let me watch the show because she saw a shirt where Bart claimed to be proud of being an under achiever, which she believed would be a bad influence on me. But, as Bart explained, "how many times have I told you never to listen to your mother!" In fact, the first time I saw an episode of The Simpsons was in elementary school before the winter break where we watched the first Christmas special, "Simpsons Roasting On an Open Fire."
I have since become a huge fan of the show for its extremely clever humor. I have several of the seasons on DVD, own a couple books about the show, and have a copy of the awful game, The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants.
- The show is extremely funny. Even after watching an episode dozens of times, I can still laugh out loud from the more clever gags. I also often catch gags that I missed the first time through.
- The show is very quotable. As any cultural touch stone, many of the jokes can still be repeated and understood years later.
- Most of the reoccurring characters are quite relatable, despite having many zany quirks.
- There are several episodes that are very heart-warming and touching.
- The early episodes, while still pretty good, had a lot of problems. They were pretty formulaic, weren't animated very well, and had strange sounding voices. All of this stuff cleared up around season 3.
- After around season 11, the episodes started to lose cohesion and started to become more a series of gags rather than a show with a message. This is expected because pretty much everything that can be done with the characters had already been done.
- Later episodes sometimes reuse jokes from previous episodes.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons - Wikipedia.