VLC Media Player
The VLC Media Player is a free open source cross-platform media player developed by VideoLAN primarily in C and C++ and first released on 2001-02-01. It has been my favorite video player for the past decade, so much that I don't even bother with other video players.
- Supports dozens of video, audio, and playlist formats. Too many to list.
- Handles various streaming audio and video protocols. You can even use it to play and download YouTube videos.
- Supports media on optical discs like CD, DVD, and BluRay, including their menus and special features.
- Can read and write metadata for many formats.
- Plays many corrupt files or partial downloads.
- Has a vast array of features, customizations, and skins.