Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre
Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre is an incremental action game developed by Juicy Beast Studio and published by Kongregate as a browser game on 2016-09-07. It was later ported to Android and iOS. It's the third games in the Burrito Bison series, and sequel to Burrito Bison Revenge.
In the game, you again play as a luchador wearing a bison mask, but, this time the gummy bears have burst into your world and stolen your book of recipes. You must beat them to a pulp to get your recipes back.
A friend of mine told me about the game after it came out knowing I had finished Burrito Bison Revenge game. He informed me it was something I could do while waiting for my wife to give birth, but she ended up having a Caesarean section, and newborns require far too much attention to play games. So, I had to wait until my girls were several months old before getting a chance to play, and, even then, I could only play while they were sleeping. I did eventually beat the game, by getting all the upgrades, the four recipes, unlocking each luchador, and even time traveling to get most of the optional recipes.
The game is free. On 2018-12-14 I had unlocked everything except the final 60-recipe-power-up.
Best Version: Browser
— This section contains spoilers! —
- The developers really increased the quality of the game making it look more professional than ever before.
- As usual, the cartoon graphics are fantastic. The slow motion on the explosion looks great.
- The background music is fantastic, both when playing and in the store.
- The game's growth slowly adds a lot of new items, enemies, and game play styles.
- Pineapple Spank is a great alternate luchador.
- The new gummy bear types are pretty funny.
- I like how when you squash two or more gummy bears at the same time, the color of the splatter is intermixed between them. This was a nice touch.
- There are some small graphical glitches in the game. The worm messes up the ground background in time mode, the spiny gummy sometimes hovers in midair with a squished sprite.
- El Pollo, while hilariously drawn, is not a very useful luchador compared to the other two. Perhaps I just don't know how to use him effectively, but I would skip him every time if I could.
- The game seems to randomly assign missions which is a bad idea. This caused me to get a "Squash 500 gummies in a single run" mission very early in the game, which I couldn't hope to pass. Very late in the game, I started getting missions like, "Get Gumdalf three times across any number of runs," which I would have been able to do much earlier in the game.
- The game's growth is a too slow for my tastes. This is done purposely to entice people to buy upgrades with real money, but that slows everything down to a crawl for the free-players.
- In order to get the final recipes, you have to travel through time, which resets all of your upgrades back to zero, and play the entire game over again several times. This is ridiculously annoying.
|Bechdel test?||Fail||There is only one female character.|
|Strong female character?||Pass||Pineapple Spank is a skilled luchador.|
|Strong non-white character?||Pass||It's implied that the luchadors are Central American.|
|Queer character?||Fail||El Pollo might be, but it;s not explicit.|